Calvary Cemetery History:
Located on Highway 58 on the south side of Red Wing, and spanning more than twenty acres of rolling, partially-wooded land, Calvary Cemetery holds 1,760 known graves. The original Cemetery land was purchased from Vital Bouiere, a Sioux Indian, in 1868. Its title then went to Bishop Grace of the Diocese of St Paul. The first burial took place in 1868. Many of the earliest burial records were lost to fire, but most still exist and are available. In later years, additional land was purchased from the Joseph and Helen Zignego family. Current administration of the Cemetery is in the hands of a Board of Trustees made up of the St. Joseph Parish Priest, the Parish Administrator, the Cemetery Administrator, and several volunteer members. Thanks to this group, we are able to provide a safe and beautiful setting for the remains of our deceased Loved Ones and for families wishing to visit them. The Cemetery is supported by: contributions from parishioners, Perpetual Care Investments, and the sale of plots, burials, and the Flower Fund.
Rules and Regulations:
Calvary Cemetery is a sacred resting place of the faithful departed, and keeping the Cemetery sacred is our highest priority. In order to preserve its sacredness and maintain its beauty, certain rules and regulations must be in place. They are not intended to be restraining, but to provide an orderly plan of operation, care, and maintenance.
- Calvary Cemetery is a Catholic Cemetery. However, any request for burial will be honored, regardless of faith tradition. Lots and burials are also available for special needs.
- Calvary Cemetery welcomes visitors during the daylight hours.
- Artificial ornaments, flowers, and bird feeders are strongly discouraged.
- Eternal flames may be used from November thru April.
- Single graves will have flat stone markers only.
- Sale of burial lots must be handled by Calvary Cemetery Management.
For more information, contact: Robert Zignego, Calvary Cemetery Administrator (651-388-5193).
Map and Directions to Calvary Cemetery: From US-61 in Red Wing, turn onto Plum Street. Continue onto MN-58 S/Bush Street and take a right onto Calvary Cemetery. (Note: if you are coming from the South driving north on Hwy 58, you will need to drive past the Cemetery and make a U-Turn onto Hwy 58 South to enter the Cemetery).